The Oakland Raiders returned home to host the Indianapolis Colts in their first game after trading wide receiver Amari Cooper to the Dallas Cowboys for a first-round pick.

Head coach Jon Gruden had a chance to show his new offense early after the Raiders defense gave up a first-drive touchdown to Andrew Luck. But without Cooper, the Raiders would start with a three-and-out.

Quarterback Derek Carr got the offense going in the second quarter, using six plays to drive his squad 75 yards for their first touchdown of the game when he found a wide-open Seth Roberts for the score.

The Raiders offense would build on the momentum on the next drive as Carr would orchestrate another touchdown drive. This time, the quarterback would drive the team 69 yards on seven plays, finding his trusty tight end Jared Cook who barreled into the end zone to give the Silver & Black the lead.

Meanwhile, the Raiders defense would find some rhythm and slow down Luck and a Colts offense which has been finding its chemistry. The Raiders would take a 14-to-13 lead into the locker room at halftime.

Carr would show his grit in the third quarter, diving over the line of scrimmage and into the end zone for his first rushing touchdown in the NFL. The rushing touchdown was also the first by an Oakland quarterback since 2013. The score extended the Raiders lead to 21-13.

Carr would continue to look like his old self in the quarter, breaking two potential sacks in the red zone and find a cutting Brandon LaFell in the back of the end zone for the touchdown.

The only problem is the Raiders defense couldn’t stop the Colts in the second half. Luck led his offense to three-straight touchdowns to start the second half to take a 35-to-28 lead late in the fourth quarter.

Gruden’s offense had a chance to get back in the game with 5:28 left in the game but on the very first play of the drive running back Doug Martin fumbled the ball to give it back to the Colts. Martin got the start after Marshawn Lynch was put on the injured reserve earlier this week.

As we’ve seen so many times, Luck took advantage of the added possession by running off the clock and adding points to the board. Running back Marlon Mack capitalized by finding the end zone for the second time of the day, making the score 42-to-28 with just 2:55 remaining in the game.

Carr and the Raiders wouldn’t be able to extend the game, turning the ball over on downs.

The Raiders now have to head to Santa Clara to take on the San Francisco 49er’s on a short week as they take the field again on Thursday Night Football.